Saturday, February 19, 2011

Let the Sun Shine Through the Windows and Warm Your Heart and Soul

Today has been absolutely wonderful! I am so happy!

Today Daddy said he wanted Pizzeria for lunch so we set off for Center about 12:30 and we ate. Then, he said he wanted to go to Toledo Bend and see the water level. So, we went. There were 2 spots he wanted to check. On the way, he told me so many stories about going to Toledo Bend and things in the area. He told me about a fishing spot that he went to with my uncle on early Saturday mornings when I was little as well as when he was growing up and about the lady you had to give 2 dollars to, to be able to put your boat in the creek at this certain spot. He also told me about a little pond-like lake that he went to when he was little and how much of a treat it was. I didn't understand what made it a treat, but the way he explained it it sure seemed like one. He told me about how my great-grandfather would always save gas by turning off his car going down the hills and coasting as far up them as he could then turning it back on when it lost its momentum. I thought it was kind of funny and it was one of those moments when you realised you wouldn't dare do that now because of safety reasons and the fact that you can't really start you car like that in the middle of rolling up a hill. He told me stories of wrecks that he remembers, really pretty houses that were coming up, and all kinds of things of the sort.

It was so nice with the sun shining through the windows and warming my arms and face as I drove through the hills and curvy roads of East Texas. It was so nice to hear all those stories. It was then that I decided that one of the summers between high school or during college I am going to make one massive road trip across America and see all of the sights-strange and historical-just for the fun of it. I loved road trips as a kid and I hope to love this one.

Now, I am home and watching Phantom of the Opera and trying my hand at baking yeast bread. If all goes well, I'll give you the recipe. Today has been absolutely FANTASTIC. I couldn't be happier right now. I see that God gave me the social set back so I could spend this warm, sunny almost spring-like day on a mini road trip with my Daddy. I have next weekend to spend with a friend. I still pray that all goes well and the plans will actually go through. The next chance you get to take a ride through East Texas, take it. Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment