Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mommy's Bag of Tricks

Every now and then these little incidences occur that bring memories flooding to your mind as if it were the Great One.

Yesterday I needed a needle and thread so I could fix a little tint hole in my purse. I asked Daddy if there was an emergency sewing kit in the lab (even though this isn't an emergency) and he said "I don't know. Let's check Mommy's bag of tricks."

Ok, so it wasn't a bag, but he pulled out this dusty box from behind his desk and handed it to me. When I opened it there were all of these things of Mommy's that were in their office that she had left behind-- her "tricks"

I found all of these notes I'd left her, like Post-its that said "Best Mommy Ever! I love you!" I couldn't help but cry a bit. I never realised all the things she did for us as a mom. There was a piece of paper with both mine and Thomas' schedule and the bell schedule so she could always be there on the days we forgot something that needed to be signed or anything to that effect. She also had her travel curlers which lived in her office for those bad hair days.  a favorite find was  four squares of cork board that had leaves printed on them with little ladybug push-pins. I know this isn't a memory but it showed me that we had such similar taste (for those that don't know, I loooove everything that has leafy patterns). I am told all the time that we were alike but I feel as though I hardly knew her. Who she really was. I mostly knew her as the dedicated mommy, not by her personality that is in my bones, too. These little reminders bring back memories that you would never have remembered otherwise.