Friday, December 24, 2010

The Gift of Giving

I absolutely LOVE it when you give a gift that you have put your heart into and the reaction you get is just the one you had had hoped for but even more. The feeling elates me and just makes my heart sing.

Today we had our Christmas Eve dinner at my Memaw's house with the following present opening. I had made two gifts for my cousin Ginny. I knitted a scarf and I sewed a beach/tote bag that was lined and everything. I had spent time on it and really focused to make sure it wasn't just crap that I was giving her. I wasn't quite sure if they were really that great. I was doubting my work-- don't ask why because I can't tell you-- but I was and it made me kinda nervous that I would be giving her a gift that she would have to put on a fake smile for and say "Oh, this is... great." in that really fake voice that really says "Wow. This is crap."

Much to my surprise, she absolutely L-O-V-E-D it. She was so happy that someone had made her homemade gifts instead of just buying something that they thought she would enjoy. It warmed my heart sooo much to see the smile on her face and her reaction and how much she loved what I gave her.

That is the kind of gift giving that is rarely prevalent anymore. It sands down the commercial edge that is now linked with Christmas. This reminds me of The Little House on the Prairie Series where Laura handmade a ribbon of lace for one of her sisters. Everything that she gave and received was handmade. It makes gifts that much more personal because they are given from the heart, not from the wallet.