Saturday, March 12, 2011

On the Road Again

Yesterday the bell rang at 3:55 and I was ready to roll..... literally. Dad was waiting in the parking lot with the car ready to go and off we went! First, we stopped in Paris, TX to eat dinner with an old co-worker of my dad. We ate in a hole-in-the-wall with the most Amazing enchiladas ever! Then we drove to McAlester, OK where there were fires everywhere! There was so much smoke! It was terrible, yet, it was neat. Neat?!?, you ask. Yes, neat! The fires were controlled for the most part, but when you are on a turnpike all by yourself at 9pm and all of the sudden the countryside has a brilliant line of fire it is startling and somewhat confusing because would you expect to see fire all over the place?!?! We made it to McAlester around 10:30, fought with the TV for 30 minutes, and no thanks to the front desk lady who told us to "press a bunch of buttons until something happens", and won. I guess that's what you get when you're in Oklahoma...(need I explain?)

I loves this soda machine because it was Pepsi brand but they couldn't (or wouldn't) use the Coke-a-cola logo so the just put COKE. Hahaha!!


The next morning, or today, we drove from McAlester to Springfield, MO. On the way we stopped at a Wal*Mart in OK because I had left my sleeping pants at home Friday morning when I changed out of them. I realized this fact last night when I opened my suitcase...at 10:30pm. Anyway, while there we saw this....contraption?


Only in Oklahoma

Today when we got to Springfield we went to the world's first and largest Bass Pro Shops. Dad was highly enthused.



Then we went to Fantastic Caverns which is America's only "drive-thru" cave. They have really old Jeeps with out roofs that are powered my propane and the have trailer-cart-buggy things on them to hold a bunch of people. This cave's history was so interesting! It was discovered by a dog that was chasing a racoon and being followed by his owner. It was first explored by a women's athletic group in the 1800's (around the time of the Civil War). In the 1920's it was a speak easy. Later, in the 50s it was a concert hall. Quite the history, no?



Sorry, those area bit blurry because there is no "cave"setting on my camera. :/

Now I am sitting in my hotel room chillaxin and being comfortable in my new pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment